The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has strongly denied reports suggesting that the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) could be postponed.
Reports published by British media outlet The Guardian claimed that the tournament, which will be co-hosted by Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania, might be pushed to 2028 due to concerns over infrastructure and preparedness in the three countries.
However, CAF has moved quickly to dismiss those claims.
CAF’s Head of TV and Broadcasting (Commercial), Luxolo September, responded on social media platform X, formerly Twitter, rejecting the report. In response to the article shared by journalist Ed Aarons, September wrote: “You write fiction,” clearly rubbishing the postponement claims.
The report had suggested that CAF’s Executive Committee was set to discuss a possible delay during a meeting in Dar es Salaam on Friday, February 13. It cited concerns over infrastructure readiness, the region’s ability to host a 24-team tournament in 10 cities, and operational challenges experienced during the African Nations Championship (CHAN).
The article also mentioned possible calendar changes after CAF President Patrice Motsepe announced in December that AFCON would move from a two-year cycle to a four-year cycle starting in 2028. This raised speculation that the 2027 edition could be adjusted to fit the new schedule.
Despite the speculation, CAF has maintained that the 2027 AFCON will go on as planned.
President Motsepe has previously stressed the importance of spreading major tournaments across the continent, not just to countries with advanced infrastructure.
“I have a duty to develop football all over Africa,” Motsepe said. “I cannot have competitions only in those four countries where you have the infrastructure. You have got to create opportunities for other countries to build infrastructure as well.”
Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania won the rights to host the 2027 tournament in September 2023, beating bids from Senegal and Botswana under the “EA Pamoja” bid.
Preparations are already ongoing across the three nations. CAF has sent a team of technical experts to inspect stadiums and training facilities. The inspections, running until February 17, are focusing on pitch quality, safety, security and overall infrastructure readiness.
In Tanzania, inspections have covered the Benjamin Mkapa Stadium in Dar es Salaam, Samia Suluhu Hassan Stadium in Arusha, and facilities in Zanzibar including Amaan Stadium and Fumba Stadium.
In Kenya, the CAF team is assessing Kasarani Stadium, Nyayo Stadium and Talanta Sports Stadium, as well as training grounds such as the Ulinzi Sports Complex and the Kenya Academy of Sports.
Uganda’s inspection programme includes the Mandela National Stadium in Kampala, facilities in Entebbe and the newly opened Hoima City Stadium.
CAF says these visits are part of its normal oversight process to ensure world-class standards for Africa’s biggest football tournament.
The continental body has pledged to continue working closely with the three governments and their Local Organising Committees to make sure preparations move forward smoothly.
For now, CAF’s message is clear — the 2027 AFCON in East Africa remains on track.